Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Cabin Fever


We had lightning about a week ago and it fried my modem so we had to order another and then get it installed. Then my monitor, which had been hanging on by one circuit, finally bit the dust. Hence, I have not been writing.

But there is another reason as well. The weather is beautiful! And I have been unable to force myself to stay inside and I will probably feel this way until it finally gets up to 110 in the shade.

(By the way, the above picture is Demeter and Persephone. Demeter was the mother of Persephone. One day Persephone was abducted by Hades, the God of the Underworld. Demeter didn't know what had happened and she searched the Earth for her daughter. She became so sad and angry that she stopped all of the plants and flowers and trees from growing and the earth became barren. She finally found Persephone, and Hades and Demeter struck a deal. Persephone would be with her mother all year except in the winter. In the winter she would join Hades in the underground. Every year when this happens, the earth becomes barren again. Then when Persephone joins her mother in the Spring, the earth becomes abundant once more.)




My son graduated college and....guess what! I have an Aunt who lives in Malibu who has been in computers since they were big enough to fill warehouses. She has invited him to stay with her and wants to help him get a job. I told him...GO FOR IT! Honestly, he couldn't ask for a better mentor. And my grandmother is paying off Joel's loans! So, I've been kind of high and giddy about all of this lately.





Oh....and I want to learn to Belly dance.

8 comments:

Enemy of the Republic said...

Oh, it's so good to see you. We are having great weather too. It is hard to stay inside.

X. Dell said...

(1) I'd bet you'll have fun belly dancing.

(2) Congratulations to your son. Hopefully, he'll have a good time (and perhaps a good life) in California. (Funny. Last night I dreamt of being in Beverly Hills.)

(3) Sorry to hear about your monitor and your modem. They're a pain to replace, but at least you're up and running. In the meantime, I think it's great that you enjoyed some time away from cyberspace.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Hi Enemy. It may not last much longer. In the summer we've been having temperatures of 115 with the heat factor. Really bites! And I read in the paper this morning that we will be having a swarm of locusts this summer. The cicadas are coming back. The ones that show up every 17 years. My little powder puff girls won't probably won't even want to go outside.

X-I think belly dancing would be fun and a much more enjoyable way of getting your stomach in good shape then doing pilates. (Yuck!)

I'm so excited to see how things are going to go with my son! It seems like he's under some kind of star right now. Hope it continues.

I feel lost without my computer. But it is good to do something else with my small amount of spare time sometimes.

Anonymous said...

wait you have a 22-23 year old son?

and your grandmother is alive?

i would have loved to have my great grandmother alive right now.

you wanna learn how to belly dance? i always have the tendency to think that belly dancing is one step closer to being a show girl. I mean, look at all those hip and gluteus maximus.

cheers.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Yes, my Grandmother is about 90 years old. Go on-line and watch the Belly dancers. They have all kinds of stuff on you tube etc. It's pretty awesome. Professional Belly dancers always make certain that everyone knows that they are not strippers but it's easy to understand why people would mistake them for strippers.

Mel said...

Wow! Congratulations to your son!! And what an awesome opportunity for him.

(I'm envious you've got a grandparent in your life, btw...how awesome for you and yours.)

And this 'puter I purchased a few months ago has a mind of its own.
Apparently it's rightfully placed in my home? LOL

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Actually Mel, my mother and my grandmother were estranged and I never met her until I was 32. Now, she probably wouldn't know me. I really regret not having known her.

Unknown said...

Congrats to your son for graduating. You must be very proud. I have a blogging friend who does belly dancing. I'll put you in touch with her if you'd like.