Thursday, June 7, 2007

Irrelevant Factoids and Antecdotes about.....MOI!


I was Tagged by EOTR. I won't tag anyone else accept Trevor because everyone who reads my blog has already done it. I realize that Trevor will probably politely decline but I will Tag him anyway just so I can say I tagged someone.

1. I severely compromised myself when I named my younger daughter. I have a rule, I don't want the name to be in the top 100 list.

I wanted to name her Vivian Jewel. I thought of naming her Vivian Scarlett but apparently there is something really obscene about this name that I am just not getting because when I mentioned it people drew away from me like I was some kind of freak for wanting to name my child this. I am aware that Vivian Leigh played Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind and that this makes the name slightly cheezy. I didn't pick it because I have an obsession with Gone With the Wind or anything. The fact that the two names are connected were just an unfortunate aside as far as I was concerned. I chose it simply because I thought it was pretty, but I didn't have enough guts to use it, given the reaction I recieved.

So, I reverted back to Vivian Jewel. When people asked me about my name and I triumphantly announced it they would first look slightly stunned, then vaguely disgusted, then they would hastily compose their features and mumble something that I couldn't quite make out. So I finally wimped out and went with Mia Ange. Mia is now in the top 20. In my defense, I have liked the name Mia long before it became popular and it isn't my fault that it became popular and common. It's a pretty name but I do feel that I sold pussed out in using it. Oh well.
However, here is something that saves it from complete banality. Mia means mine in spanish. So if we went over to Mexico we could easily get into a comical "Who's on First" type of scenario.

"What is your daughters name?"

"Mia."

"I know she's your daughter. I'm asking you what her name is.!" etc....So, I'm expecting to have lots of fun fucking with people when I go to Mexico.

2. I can't read the news in public because I very obviously cry. Either it affects me more than the average person or I am less able to hide my distress, I don't know which. I only know that I don't see any other people sobbing brokenheartedly when they read the news. On the plus side, I've been caught at it a few times and the people who caught me seemed to be somewhat in awe of and impressed by my ability to feel anguish and afterwards they treated me like a fragile piece of china...... or like I'm nuts I'm not sure which




3. I used to have a friend whom when we got together, brought out each others wacky sides. We would get together and laugh and giggle until we were almost high and we would egg each other on to bizarre antics, each trying to top the other and we didn't give a shit what anyone thought.
Once we tried to leave a drive-thru window without paying for our stuff. (I was driving.) We weren't really doing it to get away with anything, we just thought it was funny. When I got to the end of the drive, I couldn't get out because there was too much traffic and the manager came sprinting out to make sure we paid. He was pissed! But we were laughing so hard we were practically drooling. (you can get away with stuff like this in smaller towns.) Though whether we got away with it or not is debatable. We did have to pay, but we didn't get thrown in jail.

Once I pulled into the wrong parking lot when trying to go to pizza hut and I didn't feel like getting back on the road, so I just drove through the grass.
Once we casually flashed people to see if anyone would notice it if we did it very nonchalantly. It took a really long time before anyone noticed. I think that the only reason that they noticed is because we were giggling so hysterically. I'm sure that we were very annoying but we didn't care. That was the beauty of it.
Oh, I don't act that way anymore. Sorry.

4. I've dropped all of my kids at least once when they were babies. Well, the two older I dropped once apiece. But the younger one I dropped numerous times. Well actually, I didn't really drop her, I would just let her slide around. Like out of her stroller or off the bed or something. I was so relaxed and mellow by the time I had her that I wasn't careful enough. My husband did it too. Once he and my older daughter were playing video games and he was so into the video game that he wasn't paying attention to her and he suddenly noticed that she wasn't on the bed anymore. She had rolled down a quilt that was hanging off the bed and was playing on the floor, completely oblivious to the fact that she was being neglected.

5. Everyone has something really gross that they like to eat. Something completely low-brow and childish. Something that has no nutritional value whatsoever and something that you would feel slightly demeaned if anyone outside of your family actually observed you eating it. Mine is chef boy r dee (sp?) beefaroni.

7. Once when I was young, I went swimming and me and some guy I knew but wasn't attracted to swam out to the buoys together. The water was deep that year and I couldn't swim back until I rested, so I was sort of tightrope walking on the wires that connected the buoys together and treading water trying to catch my breath. I inadvertently put my hand on the guys crotch. He took it a little more seriously than it was intended. (It wasn't intended at all!) and proceeded to try to feel me up in the water. I was still too tired to swim back so I tried to casually get away from him without making a big deal about it. So, I was kind of tippy-toeing along the wire trying to catch my breath and he was tippy-toeing after me, pursuing me along the buoys. Now that I think back on it, I don't know why I didn't just say something but oh well. Well, you know how slowly you move underwater. So, it was kind of like a high-speed pursuit in slo-mo, if that makes sens.. I'm sure it could somehow be made into a Monty Python-ish, or Charlie Chaplin-ish type of skit if one had a mind to.

8. I make fun of my husband's accent sometimes and tell him that he sounds like a vampire. Is that mean?

9. I've always been soft-hearted. I thought that they should let the rabbit eat Trix.

10. Once I started a story about a heroine called Trinity and a dragon named Brian. There were people reading it and I suddenly stopped writing and left everyone hanging. sorry. I'm going to finish it soon. I've been having a hard time getting to my blog lately. I've been very yang and have been getting a lot done....all except for this. I may have to rethink it because I don't want to quit, but I will have to make more posts that are less time-consuming to write or I simply will not have time to post.

8 comments:

Princess Banter said...

Your daughter has a fantastic name! I love it. Where is your husband from?

eric1313 said...

Hey BBE.
Glad to be poet that you can deal with. And your opinion was right on about the nature of the beast between male and female. I said a lot more back at the page.

Vivian Scarlett is a fine name and it sucks that everybody peer-pressured you about a fairly unique name. Make sure they didn't steal this name for their own children! I've seen worse happen.

And I love number seven; it's just absolutely riveting, kind of hot, but also creepy in that sex-offenderish way. I love the imagery of the slow motion chase that you painted. Of course, I think that would be a great short story or a poem. That's me.

Thanks for the comments. Say whatever you want at my site!

eric1313 said...

And it doesn't need to be Monty Python--though that would be hilarious. And never worry about your spelling with me. I have no room to talk, ever.

Someone once bothered me about my spelling anonymously, and i said "so, how's that working out for you? You know...
Running my spellchecker and stuff." I signed it Tyler Durden.

Never heard a peep since.

X. Dell said...

I see Enemey got you with this tag too. Oh! The humanity.

(1) I think that was from the Abbott and Costello episode titled "Naming the Kids."

(2) The emotional sensitivty is a beautiful thing. But I reckon that it would almost be burdonsome in the if-it-bleeds-it-leads atmosphere of today's journalism.

(3) And you didn't even take pictures--I mean of driving on the grass. Shame on you:-)

(4) I often thought if I were dropped on my head numerous times as an infant, that would explain a lot.

(5) Why apologize? After living in England for awhile, I remember having this craving for Hostess Twinkies. I hate Hostess Twinkies. Beefaroni sounds considerably more palatable.

(6) Is this your unlucky number, or something?

(7) It all goes to show: if you put your hand on a guy's crotch, he'll follow you anywhere.

(8) Uh-huh. When you wake up one morning with fang marks on your neck and a severe loss of blood, who'll be laughing then?

(9) I agree. As a child, I never understood why they would keep the Trix away from the rabbit. I didn't eat Trix for that reason. I've never liked jerks or bullies. I also didn't eat Lucky Charms for fear of depriving leprechans.

(10) No problem. We'll read the story when you get to it.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Princess-My husband is from Mexico and I actually find his accent very charming. I like my daughters name. I have actually liked the name Mia since I was 15 years old and it just so happened that it became popular just when I was pregnant. Not my fault!

eric-Okay, I'll check back at your page. You know, I never thought of that! I could have been misinterpreting their looks. What I was taking as disapproval could have actually been jealousy that they didn't think of such a cool name first. I maight say also that a lot of the people that made these faces had kids with extremely 'safe' names. Seven is actually one of my funniest memories. But if you saw the guy who was chasing me, you might not have thought that it was so sexy.

Eric again-I have a habit of seeing lots of situations and turning them into a monty python or SNL skit in my ming...I mean mind.

X-Here is #6 and it is really awful as it paints me in a very bad light. I like to mess with my cat. One of the horrible things that I do to her is this. At night, when I get home from work, she leaps onto the sink while I am brushing my teeth etc....She does wierd things like trying to play with the tooth paste after I spit it out. So, I drip water on top of her head etc, but only enough to annoy her, not so much to make her run away (its a very fine line)....sometimes I talk affectionately to her and pet her head with my hands soaking wet. Why? Her reactions are hilarious. The way she looks so shocked and twitches her ears around. And she is always doing annoying things to me so it is my revenge.

Eric again again-I had someone come on my blog and criticize my spelling and punctuation as well. And you know, I realize that I spell things wrong and that I don't punctuate correctly sometimes. I would hope that someone reading me would be more interested in wat I have to say rather than how I say it.

eric1313 said...

Me again. Don't ever worry about spelling, it's all about the words and the idea expressed, exactly as you said. I just posted one more before I go to bed, but I wanted to say hi and see if you wrote anything new.
The pic is hilarious every time I see it.

Oh and by the way, I didn't think too deep about what that under water chaser guy looked like to have to act like that. Good lord, that must have sucked. But it's still a cool story--I guess it would have to be a comedy, from what you said you thought about the incident.
See you!

Unknown said...

Never grab a man there unless you're serious ;-)

The unfinished story means you've taken a page from from the David Chase school of writing. He left us haging with the Sopranos, did he not?

Anonymous said...

Yes, sorry, but I will have to decline. But thank you for thinking of me.