Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A mixed episode


I've been reading old posts that I wrote when I first started blogging. I'm surprised to see how hard my stuff was to read. My sister says I've gotten better since then, I hope so. I found this one and decided to transfer it to this blog. I've had a few people ask me about bipolar disorder and I thought it might be helpful to them. I know it was helpful to me when I wrote it. I was very sick when I wrote it perhaps that explains why it was so disjointed. Anyway, I've edited it, so hopefully it will be easier to read.

A mixed episode

In the beginning, I seem to have an increase in goal-driven behavior. I want to do everything and it all seems feasible when in reality I could never do all of those things unless I stopped sleeping. I want to learn Spanish, I want to do artwork, I want to start working out, I want to cook...and on and on I go.

It is a good feeling a charged feeling. Your supposed to go and see a doctor when you start showing these symptoms but it's the last thing you want to do. You feel so wonderful, how could anything be wrong? And honestly, you don't want it to end.

You begin to feel like there are no limitations, no barriers to anything, everything seems possible. You can't imagine why you ever felt depressed about anything, Now you can't even fathom why you ever thought that you had limitations at all. If I could bottle this, I could make a fortune!

I smile a lot, become very friendly and outgoing and talk to people like I never met a stranger. But a lot of my conversation will become this sort of 'stream of consciousness'. I prattle on and on, my ability to censor what I say goes away, I'm often embarrassed and ashamed of what I said afterwards.

I feel expansive, almost as though some boundary between me and others and even the universe has melted. I experience it as a metaphysical merging with everything. I begin to see synchronicities everywhere and feel somehow as though I can follow them and be led to something wonderful. I have an anticipatory feeling, though I don't know what I am anticipating. I begin to feel as though I am chosen for something, like I'm meant to do something special.

As an aside, I am not entirely convinced that the spiritual aspect of all of this is a false perception. I sometimes suspect that when one ones consciousness is altered, as it is with bipolar disorder, that one is actually perceiving things on a heightened level and that the things they are perceiving might be a version of reality that we are not aware of when in a normal state of mind. I've heard other bipolar people say the same thing.

The downside to all of this, is that I can't stop. And then, there is my temper. I have had a horrible temper most of my life, starting when I was a teenager. It went away when I starting taking medicine and this is how I know I was diagnosed correctly. I used to be like a wildcat when I lost my temper. I still had enough self-control somehow not to hurt other people, the violence was turned toward myself. I felt so ashamed of myself, ashamed of my lack of ability to control myself, ashamed of how I treat people. The shame that I felt made me punish myself.

Things begin to spiral out-of-control. I expend a lot of energy trying to apply the brakes, but my brakes are almost out. I begin to ruminate on things, on my past, what someone said to me. I get very worked up about these things. I brood and worry.

My thoughts begin to feel like wasps buzzing in my mind. They begin to spin so fast that it is no longer fun. I begin to lose my ability to concentrate. I try to do something and my mind is 10, 100, 1000 paces ahead of the task that I am on. On to the next and the next and the next; in the space of 30 seconds my mind has left me in the wake of it's dust. I have a pen in my hand, it is gone as though it evaporated, I have no memory of putting it down. I go to the store and buy things that weren't on my list and forget to buy what was on my list.

Right before I finally got medicated, I locked my keys in my car twice and locked myself out of the house twice. Altogether combined, this costed me $200. It's so frustrating. I knew that I shouldn't be at work but I didn't know that I had a choice, so I would go in anyway and screw everything up. One time, my younger daughter needed her diaper changed. I asked my older daughter to get me a diaper and when I went to change her, her diaper was already changed. I had changed it and I had no memory of doing it.

When I try to think about something, it feels like it does when you look into the sun and afterwards everything you see, appears to have a hole in it. That is how my mind feels....holey. It feels like a sieve that everything runs through. As I still have to function and I still have all of my responsibilities, everything becomes overwhelming.

I become very irritable, very tired. But I can't sleep. People begin to get on my nerves. Everyone seems like they are moving too slow. When I am in traffic and I am in a hurry, I get so tense. Everything seems overwhelming. I just want my mind to stop and it won't.

I feel like I did some bad angel dust. I have all of this adrenalin coursing through my body. It is a very physical, somatic experience. I can't sleep, my stomach hurts. I stop eating. I read every chance I get. Reading stops the thoughts, it calms me.

People with loud voices or people who talk too fast irritate me. I want to leave the room, they get on my nerves so bad. They drive the wasps inside of my head into a frenzy! Everyone seems stupid and they all get on my nerves. A store with loud music playing bothers me really badly, even lots of bright colors bother me, everything makes a discordant noise in my mind.

Then begins the depression. I haven't slept much for such a long time. My become hypersensitive. I begin to be paranoid. Things people say seem to have hidden innuendos. I don't know when to trust my own perceptions. I am tired and only want to go to sleep, but I can't sleep. My dreams become disturbing and atmospheric so that when I wake up, they stay with me throughout the day, coloring everything.
I feel very hostile, and luckily I am somehow able to, for the most part keep this a inside of me. But energy I expend doing this causes me to be infinitely weary.

Thank God they have medicine to help people with this and I'm so lucky that it works for me. Apparently the medicine doesn't help everyone. When I get stressed out, I get really scared because I'm afraid that it will all happen again, but so far since beginning the medicine, I've never gone into a full-blown attack.

I know that I need a job that is not high-stress. They say that stress makes everyone sick but it kills me. Bipolar disorder is truly a destroyer of souls. I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy. But I know that I am strong simply for the fact that I have survived it relatively intact. Bipolar disorder has the highest rate of suicide out of all the psychiatric disorders. I truly believe that I am lucky to be alive.

I'm lucky that I have my kids, my husband, my sister..I'm lucky in a lot of ways. I lost my job and I am still lucky. I've been given a new lease on life and I am so grateful. But the bogeyman never goes away entirely. I am very afraid of losing control. Maybe as time goes on I will become more confident that this won't happen. My life has been very hard but I've had gifts too and I choose to concentrate on those.

One of the things that I'm really proud of is that I have not let this make me a bitter person. There are things that I am angry about, I'm angry that the professionals that were supposed to help me didn't, until I was 40 years old. But I am grateful for the understanding that it has given me.

It's bad and it isn't. But I'm happy, not deliriously happy, but I'm working on it.

17 comments:

Chris Benjamin said...

this was a fantastic descriptive piece and very enlightening. thanks for sharing it. i think everyone can identify with certain aspects of this too, just not to the same extremes.

X. Dell said...

I suffer from depression, but not from this. I understand just half of the feelings, but can only empathize with you on the cause.

That's an interesting metaphor, 'mixed episodes.' Is that why you named your blog thus?

All in all, this is a fascinating depiction of an experience not shared by many people. Consequently, this makes for compelling narrative, perhaps because it is so personal.

Wouldn't it be something to be able to approach your fictional writing in the same way? In the first half, for instance, I was up when you were up. When you lost your car keys, I could feel your dander rising. When you felt low, I felt low with you, and so on.

I guess I don't relate as well to dragons and witches because they aren't as real to me. Clever midwestern women (or men for that matter) who are cognizant about themselves and their realities grab me a little closer.

Ab said...

maybe I actually have bipolar disorder.... but nho, Im not gonna let myself be diagnosed, because I intend to achieve all I dream up in my high times...
and no, I dont lose sleep... in fact, I oversleep in peace... so im not sick... but i do feel really depressed these days..

and about yr son and dghtr, i must tell you something my mom always tells us... she is a woman who wouldnt have achieved much th way the world sees.. and she's lived thru a marriage that went hopelessly bad, and in spite of even we children not wanting her to continue she used to stick on. for us, she would say....
and she'd always say that maybe her mission on the world might be just to have grown 3 kids to become good people..
so im sure your children will benefit from your experiences and all that

oh no, i dont know why i typed all this now, but my rule on blog is not to delete anything i typed because it just is what came to mind, and thats the only thing worth saying, what comes to your mind!!!

eric1313 said...

BBE, I feel all of these things--sometimes, I can't even read. It takes about twenty minutes of concentrating to get into reading when I'm wound up, in which time I finish ony a page or two. But, once I get into it, I can read for hours. At least, there is that.

I'm not medicated, I just try to hold on. In recent moths, I've been better. When I first started blogging, I was a wreck. Writing as much as I have has been such a comfort. It's helped me immeasurably.

When I was young, I was medicated for depression, but that didn't work for me. It made me listless, or sometimes only made me jittery, depending on which medication it was. It tended to stiffle my creative processes, in writing, drawing (I used to draw!) and music. That was why I quit taking them when I was old enough to make that decision.

I admire your strength and courage. I have to say, though--I'm a loud voiced person who talks too much (no, me, talk too much?), so I'd probably bother the bejezuzz out of you! I don't talk too fast, though--I like all my words to be understandable. At least we have this wonderful medium to communicate in.

Glad to know you, BBE. Don't worry about not commenting on my blog. If my poems ever make you think of anything, you are welcome to say whatever it is. I'm an off topic kind of mind, so don't ever worry about that! Abstraction or distraction, those are my main stocks in trade.

This was a wonderful post, and I loved the picture--a mind bunring with possibility and from it's own fire. I love it.

Peace out, friend. Talk to you more, soon, friend.

Amandeep Singh said...

Really well expressed things in the post!
great!

Mel said...

Definitely reads at the pace the disorder takes you...which, as uncomfortable as it might have been to discovery the disjointedness, really does explain and give that bit of 'feel' to how the mind races and flies.

The Brit accuses me of 'forgetting'.....my story is there's just too much in that head of mine and sometimes things just fall out.
The ups the downs, the ins the outs, the highs the lows--just pieces of the whole. It's hard not to let yourself become convinced that they define you and your value on the planet.
But they don't.
Our value just IS, yaknow?

Wonderful piece of what's true for you about the mind in action.
No doubt it will help someone get a better 'feel' for what it's like.
And I'm glad for you to have a sister who can be a voice of objectivity in your life.

Enemy of the Republic said...

I shift from terrible anxiety to depression to weird contentment. Happiness is not something I expect; it's a fleeting feeling in my book. I appreciate this post; like Benji said, I think a lot of us can relate to portions.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Benji-I'm glad that you liked it, sometimes I am uncomfortable about posting stuff like this. I

x-Mixed episodes is actually a clinical term used by the healthcare professions. The reason I went undiagnosed for so long is because when I was younger they didn't yet understand mixed episodes as they don't have the distinct boundaries that bipolar I and II have.

I think all of my writing tends to go into the fanciful because I am not comfortable writing about some of my experiences. When I write fantasy, I can talk about my feelings indirectly. I don't think I want to pick around at exposed nerves too much.

AB-I have noticed that there are a lot of people who suspect that they have bipolar disorder that are unwilling to take medication. Hopefully, you will never feel so bad that it becomes a necessity, but it really isn't so bad. At one time I saw it as a defeat, but why should I look at it that way? Are diabetics giving in by taking their insulin? Or are they just taking care of their health?

I think what you are talking about is triumphing over your tragedies instead of becoming victim to them.

Eric-You wouldn't get on my nerves with your loud voice, I'm only like that sometimes. I know what you mean about feeling like the medicine has stripped away part of your personality. They do have better meds now though, they have been developing so many in the last few years. The medicine I take is actually for siezures. It has no side effects, at least I haven't had any.

Everyone-I will get back to the comments later and answer everyone, I have to go right now, I am taking my kids to a marionette show.

Beth said...

This gave me great insight with my husband. Thank you for sharing it and for not censoring your experiences.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

standbyme-Thanks for stopping by my blog, I checked out yours the other day. Great writing! I will stop by again.

Mel-Since I found out I had it, I have read a lot about it. I am amazed at how much differently different people experience it. Some people stay a lot more 'up' than I did, they don't like to take medicine because they miss that feeling when on the meds. I don't miss anything about it.

EOTR-Since I found out I had it, I think a lot about how much the way we percieve things is influenced by chemicals in our brains. Sometimes I wonder if it is possible to tell what is really real.

Beth-I'm glad that you liked it.

David said...

woah, been through the same pattern a few times, of becoming energized and focuse and then drained. i suppose sometimes we need to let go and recharge, or so I've learned.

DESPERADO said...

thx for a candid description.I'm sure many will be helped by reading this.
By reading your post, I feel most of us suffer from this to some degree if not completely.
cheers,
despo

X. Dell said...

That's the common affliction for the writer. That's probably why so many self-medicated themselves to oblivion.

Ab said...

well, Im not really sure it is a proper sickness i have.. its just that i feel depressed most of the time... and its mostly because of the people around you... I mean, these dasys, iv reached breaking point many times...

its more about how people treat me and all that... and a feeling that I am not indispensable to anyone (hmmm... interesting thought) like, u do so much to make others happy, and be understanding and loving and all that, and in the end, you still have nothing coming yr way in terms of affection or caring.. maybe its all illusionary worries, but then im sick of telling myself that its a psychological issue, and so, I decided to just accept it and move on

like, maybe I do have a mental problem with peoplem, but then anyway, its not gonna make a difference to others, so i shud just mind my own business and do the things that will help me...

so these days i dont hang around with 'friends' and i dont like actually make efforts to build/keep relationships... got a new hobby... am going more and more into music.. and that is keeping me occupied

Anonymous said...

That was really interesting, how manic-depression works. Thanks!

PS: I am often embarrassed to read my early posts as well.

Enemy of the Republic said...

How is it going?

eric1313 said...

Wrote a new short story. You said you like my prose writing, so I thought I'd give you the heads up.