Sunday, April 22, 2007

Fluffy post

This is a little fluff post because I'm having a hard time finding the time to work on my story and I haven't posted for awhile.

Ahem.....

I bought some scrubs the other day. Now veryone has seen scrubs, right? The ridiculous little smock tops with flowered prints, or pictures of popular cartoon characters which are supposedly supposed to amuse a child so much as they are having a needle put into their vein that it will lessen their discomfort. Inevitably worn with elastic waisted cotton pants.



I've owned scrubs for awhile but they were the plain ones. I thought that the others were just too undignified and well.....dorky! So, I wore the unisex, baggy scrubs in dismal colors. They were so big on me that I wore them when I was nine months pregnant. When I wear them around my waist they sag down halfway to my knees, if I pull them up they come up under my armpits. And these are size smalls. These scrubs give the message that one is all about business, true, but they are uuugly!



Now granted, we are not working at a hospital to look pretty...we are at a hospital to save lives. Why worry about such frivolities when charged with such a responsibility. But eventually, I grew tired of looking like I had just crawled out of the morgue and I tried to buy some 'professional' clothes.



But that just ain't me. So then I tried to wear something 'cooler' and still stay within the dress code, no jeans etc...



(Not exactly like that of course, but you get the idea.) But I just looked silly next to everyone else, overdressed! Plus, I work with blood and pee and poop and snot and hackers for gods sake! But still I balked at the happy, daffy looking scrubs. The remind me of garanimals!



Or the polyester pant suits worn by some of our grandmothers.



However, finally I looked through some of the catalogues and gradually became more open-minded. They have pink panther scrubs! How cool is that! They have baby phat scrubs and pinstriped scrubs. They have lowrider scrubs. They still have elastic waists but...oh well. And look at these attractive scrubs!


I don't think anyone could call you a dork wearing stylish exotic looking scrubs like that. Or perhaps I've become desensitized.

At any rate, I broke down and bought some scrubs. They all come in bright easter egg colors which is quite a change for someone like me who tends to dress in black, brown, burgundy etc...

I even bought a pair of crocs! (Something I swore I would never do!) They must be the most ridiculous looking things ever known to mankind.



So, needless to say I was very excited the first day I wore my new scrubs! I selected my powder blue pants (they even have flare legs!) and my flowery shirt with cunning little powder blue ribbons on it. I had my new white crocs and I even bought an extendable badge holder with a picture of a smiling sun on it. I walked into work feeling very self-conscious and wierd and.......everyone told me I looked so cute! I got fussed over so much! I don't really know what to think. I like being fussed over, but I don't know if I like being cute. I guess it's better than being ugly. Or did I look really awful before and I just didn't realize it?

So, that night I went home and checked myself in the mirror and tried to look at myself objectively in order to understand why I caused such a scene and...oh my god! I do look cute!



This somewhat damages my self-esteem, but I think I'll stay with it. Maybe if I look cute, everyone will be nice to me. They will want to yell at me and they will see me in my little eastery scrubs and say, "Aaaaaw!" and be unable to hurt my feelings.



Hey! Whatever works! But if you ever see a woman on the streets wearing dorky scrubs and wonder how she could bring herself to wear such a sappy looking outfit, try to be a little understanding. She probably knows that she looks dorky and has just finally bowed down to the inevitable. There isn't really anyway to not look somewhat dorky or unstylish when you are a medical professional. She probably doesn't really think she looks good either. Tell her she looks cute! She'll like it!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You're not going to model these new outfits for us? LOL! But seriously why not wear something a bit different and shake it up. Nothing wrong with that. They are still scrubs after all.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Who knows, maybe I will sometime. And yes, it actually is fun to look a little bit different sometimes, than the way that I usually do. And they are so cheerful

X. Dell said...

On the corner where I live, there is one of those medical technician training centers. All the students wear scrubs. On the other corner, across the street, is a clinic. So people are wearing scrubs all around me.

I could stand to see a bit more color and variation in the style, even if it's Geranimals.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Yes, you know, now that you mention it, hospitals can be very drab places. And people use the relaxed dress codes as an excuse to look slovenly. It does stand out when you notice someone dressed neatly in well cared for clothes that fit. I'm sure it makes a good impression on visitors.

Anonymous said...

You think that scrubs are dorky? I sort of like them. That first one you showed was sort of nice. They aren't skimpy white miniskirts, but they'll do. (Have you ever actually seen a woman nurse or doctor or lab worker that actually wears the "sexy nurse" clothes outside of halloween? Sigh, if only...)

Behind Blue Eyes said...

I did see a girl bending over pushing a bed down the hall once and the top of her thong was showing above the waistband of her pants. It wasn't sexy. She wasn't really the kind of girl meant to where thongs. And yes, I think scrubs are dorky....though I would have liked some pink panther ones.

Zig said...

cute's good! I can think of a lot lot worse.