Tuesday, December 4, 2007

INFP


Sorry I haven't been around for awhile. I've been.....doing absolutely nothing, just sort of fretting about what I am going to do with myself now. Frankly, I hate to say it but I've been a little self-obsessed, I really need to quit. Trying to figure things out and is like beating your head against a wall....the future is unknown we just have to make a choice, don't we?

Last night, I went with a woman to a sign language interpreter class so that I could get some sort of idea of what was involved with that. They all had to bring an object in and describe it to the class and the class had to guess what it was. One woman made a triangle shape and the teacher told her that she had actually made the sign for Vagina.

I talked to the teacher after the class and she said that roughly 1 out of 3 people can pick up sign language well enough to be interpreters and that graduating from the program was no guarantee that you would actually be able to be one. She said that she has seen people who wanted it very badly and just couldn't get it. She said that she has also seen people who seemed to just....have it inside of them and it just burst out.

I don't know how I know this but I know that I am one of the second, I just have no doubt that I could do this. I'm not being arrogant, it's just something that I know. I am worried about money of course, she said that it is possible to earn money doing this, that you can earn enough to live on. So, my mind is filled with this right now....is it a good idea?

Well, according to the tests that I've been taking online it is. I am an INFP!!! Introverted, intuitive, feeling percieving....about as right-brained as you can get. So, obviously something like sign language would be something that I would be suited for. And it was also listed as one of the jobs for my type! Wierd! And I thought I was so unique! It is a fun test to take, it is called the Meyers-Brigg personality test! Look it up online, you will be amazed at how completely accurate it is.

I sorta think that this may be my calling. So why do I keep trying to talk myself out of it? I know I would like it, I know I could do it....so why do I keep trying to get out of it? I guess it's the commitment. It's so hard to make a commitment, isn't it?

I forsee that if I were going to do something like this, I would have to start becoming a lot more involved with people than I am now. I am sort of a loner. I'm not really outgoing. I can talk to people but a lot of the time I am stand-offish. In order to do something like this, I would have to force myself to be more outward focused, which I think would be good for me but its scary I suppose because it is the opposite of how I am.

Interestingly, the Myers-Briggs said that around middle age, people start changing and feeling a need to develop the undeveloped parts of themselves. People who are introverted find the need for more connection, extroverted people find the need for more self-reflection etc... Jung said that we were all on a journey to become whole, the journey continues for all of our lives and that it is a need that we have, if we don't develop the undeveloped parts of ourselves, we become stagnant and stop growing. So that's some stuff to think about.

So anyway, I know this isn't much of a post but this is what's going on with me right now. Like a soap opera, I hate it!

19 comments:

Chris Benjamin said...

naw it's fascinating! i used to be an INFP but last time i did the test I was ENTJ so I changed in 3 of 4 categories. guess i hit middle age early. anyway i say go for it, sounds like you have the aptitude and drive, and it seems to have you excited, so why not give it a shot?

Ab said...

haa... let me jus try out th test.... and ill tell you..

you know what, i dont think anyone is born with a calling to any profession... you just start liking it and for some reason, you end up having a knack for it...

like me and fund management... actually im a bad worker... i wouldnt employ myself... but you got to admit i have a knack for this thing.. and till i read a book 2 yrs ago, i never even knew somethiung like this existed, much less that it was this easy....

anyways, good to see you are trying desparately to get into something new.. its usually a good sign :)

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Your whole profile changed? Wow! I'm excited about it, everyone who I talk to says it is a very rewarding career.

Ab-I do think some people have a calling but I think it is rare. I admire your honesty at admitting your a bad worker. Hee! That's funny! You are obviously good at it, I can tell by what you write.

BBC said...

This was an interesting post. My blog rambles a lot at times, in directions I never expected it to. And sometimes I gripe a lot about humanity. My spiritual journey since I got on it has a pain in some ways.

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm a country boy and have lived without power before and been okay with it.

And I'm prepared for an emergency if something should happen here. I have plenty of food, propane, candles and water stored, and a backup electrical system. It's not a big system, but will run the computer so I can get on the Internet to do reports with as long as the phone lines still work.

I've been in your town a number of times, thankfully the weather was always nice.

Have a great day, hugs.

David said...

Last time I did the personality test I was a INFJ and it stayed the same. I think for me it would take a big role change to change my peronsality, which for you being an interpreter would undoubtfully open up for you.

Anonymous said...

I got INTP last time I did that test, so we're fairly close. Actually, a girl who used to be my room mate was an INFP also. (I had a crush on her.)

I just tried that test again right now, though, and got ISTP!

Raymond said...

Honey look. When you find the right man you will know it. Trust me.

Mel said...

Ohhhh......an adventure!
:-)

All it takes is that first step.
Ready, set.......





Oh and........
*looking around for witnesses*

I've always been rather fond of Jung.

Anonymous said...

i dont know why some people complain about life so much, i dont know why i do...probably because its just human nature...never satisfied...but man i should just be glad i can speak. we all should.

good luck with the classes

Behind Blue Eyes said...

So BBC, do you have to keep prepared there? Is it something that happenes frequently? Your in Utah, right? It is very unusual here, for the electricity to go off more than a few hours. No-one is prepared for it. some people even died because of the heat. And people who bought large quantities of meat, lost it all. It's good to know how to survive, most of us don't know how.
I've looked at your blog before, just didn't say anything.

David-It would be a lot of fun, I think. They talk about the deaf community all of the time. Apparently, it is a close-knit community full of wonderful people and if you are included in it, your life can become very enriched by it. So that's pretty cool! Your lucky! You at least got 1 left brained thing, I'm entirely right-brained. Well, I think I already knew that anyway, pretty obvious if you knew me.

Trevor-INFP is supposed to be the rarest type, 1-3% of the population. I googled it and it was kinda neat because there are INFP groups on the internet and everything! It says that we are the kind of people who can be totally engaged with something but not notice that our socks don't match or something. Embarassingly, this is true of me. It definitely suggests that you don't do anything really technically involved. It also says that they need to work in a cooperative, rather than a competetive environment. It brought out a lot of good points. Again, I think your lucky to have at least one quality that keeps you within earths atmosphere.

Janis-I don't know what my husband would think if I tried to find another man but thanks for the vote of confidence.

Mel-It works, doesn't it.

BBC said...

Nothing to do with this post hon, but I spotted your comment at winai's blog.

As for liberals, the only reason they are needed is because of 'conservatives'. It's all about finding a balance.

And it's all as crazy as hell.

I guess you haven't read my profile or you would know that I live in Port Angeles, Washington. I am prepared for whatever might happen for the simple reason that everyone should always be.

If something should happen here I don't want to be a burden to those that are trying to help all the fools that wasn't prepared.

If you have never been in and through a natural disaster or war consider yourself lucky. I was in the great Alaskan earthquake.

If you ever in one you will get a whole new outlook. Well, maybe not, but I like to be self supporting. Hugs.

eric1313 said...

That was very interesting to take. I'm scoring in different things every time I take it, too. Writ now I'm an ENFS, I think. Something like that.

I love sign language, however, my vocabulary is rather limited!

It's a big very good sign that you want to help people and reach out so much, you'll try to reach out to the the hardest ones to reach out to. Worlds of intelligence ignored and unspoken, stories that have never been given voice. I envy you, actually. This is a wonderful opportunity and I'm glad you're taking it.

Peace out!

Anonymous said...

OOOh... I must take this.

Come back soon!

Behind Blue Eyes said...

BBC-I actually have read your profile, but I couldn't remember exactly where you were from and I was too lazy to go back and look. I believe you when you say that it would change your perspective. Even thye little blackout that we had really made me think. I'll be by your blog again soon.

Angela-Thanks for stopping by.

Eric-I'm actually really excited about it. It's apparently a whole lifestyle. These people are somewhat isolated, as I'm sure you can understand, to being with only people who can communicate with people. Sure they can have relationships with others, but not the same way that we can. So, they have their own communities. and I guess you have to sort of 'pay your dues' before you get accepted. But once you do, it is apparently wonderful. How is your school situation going?

Raymond said...

New Post!

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Janis-I know, I've been lazy.

BBC said...

I hope that you are not like Janis, but whatever. I wonder if she has ever read a whole book.

Anonymous said...

i read on bbc comment board that you were writing an entry and got frustrated so you quit?

why did you get frustrated? is it the mixed episodes again?

and stop writing long posts, it's hard for people with short attention spans and nearsightedness=) ...not all of us have 20/20 blue eyes, jew know?

Behind Blue Eyes said...

I didn't think that this was a long post. Anyway, if you think my posts are too long then maybe you'll be happier with the one that I just posted. If it's too long for you, then I don't know what to tell you.