Tuesday, January 8, 2008

What's Wrong With Britney?


(I can't believe I'm posting about this!)
I've never been a Britney fan. I'm not into her genre. As a matter of fact, have some lack of respect for the genre, but I'm big enough to admit that she was a helluva performer. It wasn't only her dancing ability or her team of image consultants or her fabulous pre-pregnancies figure that made her so famous and shot her to the top. It was her 'star quality'. You either have it or you don't. It can't be bought, it can't be learned, it just is....and she just oozed it.

Of course, there aren't too many people by now who don't realize that there is something terribly wrong with Britney. There are still people who still persist on saying that she is doing the things that she does because she has no class and she's been spoiled by her money. But many people now realize that it is much more than that. Her behavior can't leave much doubt to those who are generous enough to see.

It all started when she shaved her head. The tabloids howled in trimph to see Britney going down. If she was hounded by the paparazzi before, now she was devoured. But anyone who has ever dealt with mental illness knew, it was more than that. Britney's ordeals show a lot about the general publics attitude about mental illness. Apparently, they don't believe it exists.

The legal definition of insanity pends on whether you knew what you were doing or not. Apparently, the idea is if you can string a sentence together or are able to make any kind of sensible action, then you know what you are doing. If you could be considered to be crazy at all, you would be crazy like a fox. Many people seem to think of Britney this way and I suppose I am identifying with her because in many ways, the attitudes that people have towards her are similar to the attitudes that people had towards me when I was younger.

Though I've never shaved my head, I relate to Britney because I used to do things to shock other people when I was very young. I did it because I was angry. When you are having an episode your emotions are all out of proportion to what is actually happening. I have always been overly-sensitive and sometimes it reached the level of paranoia. Shocking people was my way of getting back, or showing them that I didn't really care what they thought of me. It was also a way of controlling a situation, I had control over how they felt about me, I may be making them dislike me but it was on my terms.

And then there was her marriage to Kevin Federline. Britney lost her head for Kevin Federline, someone who seemed beneath her, I don't mean financially...everyone is beneath her financially, I mean as far as her deserving someone who has respect for her and has her best interests in mind. But Kevin 'pimped' Britney. Why did she let him? What demon is driving her?

Britney has a certain Marilyn Monroe quality. Remember the headlines when Marilyn died...The most popular girl in America died alone on a Saturday night. Gloria Steinman wrote a great book about Marilyn Monroe that I believe eventually came to BE popular opinion. Which is that Marilyn Monroe felt that no-one cared about her, they only loved her image. She spent her life trying to find someone who loved who she was on the inside, someone who loved Norma Jean, not Marilyn Monroe. I believe that this is what Britney thought she was getting when she met K-Fed. Someone who saw Britney, the little girl from Louisiana, not Britney...pop idol.

And he probably did see her for what she was, but what he saw was her vulnerability and her giving nature and her insecurity. She was his mark, not his love...and Britney..she just didn't see it. Is Britney stupid like people say?

I've always noticed that you can tell a lot about people by how they view the world. A thief thinks everyone is going to steal from them, a liar thinks everyone is lying...etc...etc. Following this theory, what does Britney being snowed by K-fed say about her? Well, probably that she never expected to be treated this way because she would never treat anyone this way. She never saw his opportunistic nature because she has a generous nature. I think that she 'Is that Innocent' actually. And I relate to this too.

Even the way that she acts now. Supposing her behavior is a cry for help? Why is she crying to the world? Does she think people will care? Because she would care? I don't know, I'm just speculating of course. But her behavior makes sense if you think about it in these terms.

I saw an article on Britney the other night. One of the few articles where they weren't gloating about how she has become a trainwreck, dancing on her grave. This was an article in which the author was speculating about Britney possibly having bipolar disorder, which is why I read it.

There was a place for comments afterwards and there were more than 200 comments. Many of them were of a forgiving nature...Britney became famous too young, it's the stress, it's her stage-mom etc.... Some were mean of course, (it's scary to know that people who say these things walk the earth!) But many of them appeared to be like me, they read the article because Bipolar Disorder was mentioned and they either had it, or had a family member with it.

None of these people had anything disparaging to say. over and over, comment after comment they said, "I've suspected for a long time that she was bipolar." A few said that they had a parent that was Bipolar and they recognized the look in Britney's eyes....that look of not being completely there, someone whose responses are driven by inexplicable things going on inside of them rather than what is going on outside of them......reality in other words. They were all very concerned for her. Mental illness is a bad mother-fucker!

I made a comment too. I talked about how I dread the day that we all wake up to see the headlines "Britney is Dead!" And just like Anna Nicole Smith, people will suddenly be so nice. There will be tributes to her and they will finally have a little bit of sympathy. They stopped slamming Anna Nicole after she was dead, probably to assuage their guilt. Yes guilt, because anyone with half a brainv knew that Anna Nicole's problems had more to do with the fact that she came from a low-class background. They understood it all along, but it was fun to rip her apart. Just like they apparently have so much fun ripping Britney apart and eating her heart.

I wish people would just leave her alone, like the guy/girl said. I wish people wouldn't be so arrogant that they thought that they could judge someone elses behavior based on their own reality. Mostly, I wish that society would 'get a clue'. For Britney's story symbolizes a lot of the sins of mankind, that we judge, we are self-righteous, that we can turn on someone at the first sign of weakness and that charity is only extended to those who are similar to us.

I think Britney has learned a lot about mankind through her ordeals. No wonder she's such a mess.

20 comments:

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Marilyn Monroe was glamorous, Britney Spears has never been glamorous, she's always had that 'trailor park' quality as people so ungenrously call it ....I think that this is another reason why people don't have much sympathy for her. And all the more reason why people should. Money or not, someone who is raised in a background where they do not recieve good examples or advice or positive ways of coping is even more in need of help.

BBC said...

I don't know much about her, don't know what makes her tick. But a lot of those folks don't know how to handle success. Becoming spoiled ruins them it seems, one reason why I've never spoiled, don't want to know what it might turn me into.

Paris Hilton is a good example of a spoiled brat. They get plenty examples and good advice, they just don't take it, running instead on their own energies and messed up minds.

And Paris found God in jail so now she can find plenty of excuses in the bible for the way she is and continue to be that way.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Paris really is stupid. And she's has had every advantage that money could possibly give and none of it took. Just goes to show you that having money doesn't necessarily mean that you have any class. But she is in her right mind and will probably always be the way she is.

X. Dell said...

(1) I actually saw an obituary for her last summer, and her Wikipedia entry briefly offered details of her demise (until corrected, of course). It seems that she has been the subject of at least five separate death rumors.

Paul McCartney, on the other hand, can only boast of two.

(2) Just for giggles, you might want to look at this.

Anonymous said...

In responce to your comment, you seem to favor Obama over Hillary...let's make this personal, your senator vs. my senator, one of them is bound to win the party's nomination

Yes, i can't believe your posting about that also =)

AND how can you compare Marylin Monroe to Britney???

BBC said...

I wasn't angry when young. I was scared of my parents.

Then I joined the Navy and got busy with life and doing things and that consumed my life for years.

Then I started out on a spiritual journey, that sure has been a pain in the butt.

eric1313 said...

Brittney is a sad story. She is ill, and the way her parents raised her helped make her that much more fragile. They did everything for her and promised her everything would be taken care of for her forever and her whole mindset was geared that way.

She just was not prepared for the media turning on her, or for false greedy love ala K Fed. I think she did feel she was the princess of a magic kingdom. The mouseketeer effect, we could call it.

As for Paris, I love that she is being cut out of inheritance for her hijinks. Damn right she'll be that way forever--now she'll also have to earn her own cash. Which she is capable of, but I bet she's managed to blow most of the millions she's already made.

Plus, I don't get how she's a model. There are a lot prettier people than her in the world. She was given her status because of her family. But now that her family has expressed its displeasure at her antics, things might change. I hope she has to actually try and find a job and keep it. That would be great, there would be some justice in the universe.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

x-That was so neat. I really enjoyed it. I will definitely go back and watch more of them. I'm with the host, I don't know if I entirely buy it but it was chilling.

Winai-I don't know if you realize or not that it's obvious that you don't really read my posts, which is fine but I answered your question in my post. I said that they were similar because each of them feels\felt that no-one loved the real them, only the image that they had created.

BBC-I was raised in a very liberal environment. It's always been the rest of the world who scares me.

Eric-I thought it was hilarious that she got cut out. I don't have anything against her but I think she is very dumb and sort of represents a lot of things that are sick in our society. I saw pictures of her when she was young. She's definitely had some plastic surgery. But yes, she is an entirely different case than Britney. Paris is as tough as nails, Britney is fragile.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Alan said...

..... I guess the rich and famous are seemingly a target for some to vent their frustrations.
I feel sad, and wish shd would not have to go through the incredible pain it must be to lose custody of your flesh and blood.
I've no idea - like most of us - what is really going on with Britney, except there is something radically wrong; she is hurt deep down---- such a hurt, she can't seemingly face it, so much so, she is hurting herself in a bizarre outward fashion that can only be a reflection, a duality which will bring her to herself or destroy her.
I hope she finds the love she needs to get through. She needs a hero now at this time- a true friend.

rockmother said...

The trouble with Britney is - we only know what the papers and tabloid tv report which is undoubtedly skewed beyond belief.

They need to leave her alone. We have a similar situation in the UK with Amy Winehouse. The heat seems to be off on her as Britney Meltdown Fever seems to have en-tranced the world's press right now!

Overall - it is fairly obvious that she needs serious professional help - only she can instigate that. She needs to recognise that that is the only option. I hope she does. Sadly, some people don't. When you are that damaged there must be a comfort in that mad place.

Anonymous said...

I thought Brit actually shaved her head because you hair can be analyzed and show if you have been using drugs. Not sure, where I heard that, though.

Anyhow, I don't have TV and somehow I still know about this Britney Spears stuff. They put these stories in the news papers now. What crap.

Ab said...

ya, even i read the britney bipolar article....
i used to be a big fan of britney's when she first started singing.. but 2 albums and then she started to crap crap and just crap.. and I kind of 'dumped' her mentally... lol... but th last month or 2, th kid incidents, yeah i feel sorry for her... really sorry that here is a person everyone knows is in need, and people jus refuse to let her get better.. and everyone takes advantage of her....

one of her songs, 'lucky' had the words,

'she's a star,
but she cries in her lonely heart thinking,
if there's nothing, missing in her life,
then why do those tears come at night'..

this was in her first year of being a star... i guess the need to be loved for what you are is something all of us need... and i feel that the lack of care and love are the reasons for most mental problems... the human mind can be however strong.. but it cannot fight a battle alone....
and its a disgusting feeling knowing that behind the smiles, noone gives a damn about the real YOU... even if you arent a celebrity..

Unknown said...

You see!!! I feel the same way when I write about her once in a blue moon. I don't like the music but I thought she was hot back in the day. I wouldn't come within 100 miles of her now. But she gets so crazy that I feel like I must voice an opinion on my blog.

She is one of these subjects that you look at her antics and say you yourself, "what is this?" It's all over the media and while they try to make mountains out of mole hills, her behavior is so crazy that it actually deserves the attention.

I had some people say that they don't know about her because they don't watch TV. You don't have to!! Go to a news site on the internet, wait on line at the grocery store, open a news paper...there she is!!

It's a sad story and she is on a collision course with disaster. She has not hit rock bottom yet but is heading there.

On a side note the Paris Hilton sex video was given to me as a gift by a couple who grew weary of it. Didn't add spice to their sex life.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Sean-She certainly does need a friend. I too hope that she will find some way to start being hones with herself and go and get the help that she needs.

Rock-Thanks for stopping by. I've been neglecting my blog lately. I will stop by yours soon. Amy Winehouse has so much talent and is so original. I sometimes think that part of their acting out is a response to the way that they are treated in the Media. And people seem to relish it. They seem to forget that they are human. I think it's awful that they took pictures of Britney while she was being taken away on a stretcher.

Trevor-I think she shaved her hair off well before she started being tested for drugs. Yes, Britneys everywhere now, just like she once was but for different reason now. They should just leave her alone.

Ab-Fame certainly has taken its toll on her. She seemed to have it all at one time. It certainly can't help tht people are being so mean.

Ricardo-Everytime you think that Britney couldn't get worse, somehow she does. It's difficult to understand why she doesn't get help for herself and why she can't see that she needs it. I knew someonw who had the Paris Hilton sex video, they said they didn't think much of it. I think she was very weird to even make it at all. No wonder her Grandfather cut her out of his will.

drips of paint said...

Me too..I can't believe I am reading an article about Britney ... yours is the 1st Britney article I read.... I think it would be nice if Britney can read this too.

The last I heard from TV is that DR phil is trying to get in on it as well .... to "help" Britney.

Unknown said...

Yeah Paris would not be on the top of my list as far as performance goes. Too self absorbed. I think she did the video for attention. I heard about her getting cut out of the will.

Anonymous said...

bbe

YES i sort of did read your post what i was saying is that why such a female with an illustrious career and beauty like Marylin had to be compared to britney

if you needed someone to compare her with you could have used any other celeb with the same issue of feeling unloved for who they are

this isnt really a problem i just thought i needed to rebuke your comment

your so confrontational bbe

feliz ano nuevo,
wi

Anonymous said...

you're*

common mistake

Anonymous said...

I don't have anything against Britney and I believe she needs lots of love and support now BUT this girl really never had any talent. She was a pop star and not the best singer/dancer -- she just came out at the right time, that's all.