Monday, February 25, 2008

ESL: Preface



So I've been reading about East Saint Louis. I have one book at home, another I've requested from the library and I've been looking on the internet. There's so much material, so many little tangents to follow, more than I even realized when I decided to start exploring.

I've also been surprised, given the complexity of the problems the city has faced, to find that there is a lack of information about exactly what has happened in the city during a certain time period in the 1980's while Carl Officer was Mayor. Some of it has to do with the fact that it happened before the internet, But sometimes I think it's more than that. Sometimes I think that there is some sort of collusion not to talk in detail about these things, but why?

First, I suspect that some of it has to do with a 'code of ethics' that keeps a lot of journalists who might have some interest in the city from a humanistic standpoint from digging it up, perhaps out of a sense of decency. The city already has a horrible reputation, why besmirch it further by focusing on everything that's gone wrong? It wouldn't help anything, it might make things worse.

Another factor that I'm sure is in place making it difficult to find out certain things is because no-one involved will talk about it. They don't want anyone meddling. ESL has a lot of municipalities and a lot of people in politics and everyone is interconnected and they cover each others butts, I'm sure that the old 'conspiracy of silence' thing is going on here. The politics of ESL have been compared to Mayor Daley's machine if that tells you anything.

Sadly, I suspect that another reason for this vacuum of information simply has to do with the fact that a lot of people really don't care, as long as ESL problems remain contained within ESL, they will look the other way. Most local people will tell you that it is their own damn fault anyway. (A partial myth that I intend to dispel, it's certainly much more complicated than that!)

A lot of things about ESL intrigue me. This may sound strange, but I love the way the city looks. It's not a beautiful city, instead it's surreal, it has this crazy post-apocalyptic appearance. I've heard that there is not another city like it in the US. The city looks just like it did when my mom was growing up there, 60 years ago. Little has changed or been repaired in many cases. When I go there I get this odd feeling that the people and the cars and anything modern have been super-imposed on the city, that we are somehow the ghosts. I get that feeling every time I go there and I can't really explain it any better than that. I'll write about this.

The history of the city is rich and exciting and horrible in some cases. Robber Barons, Southern Illinois Mafia with the redlight district and the bootlegger, the politics that went into forming the city. This city you will find, reflects the story of the nation. I will write about this.

Then there was the race riot. Leaving it out would be a glaring omission, it must be talked about. I will write about that.

And of course there is the decline of the city which is what it is known for and the reasons for this and how bad things finally became in the 1980's. Things like this are the shame our nation and no nation has the right to hold it's head up high as long as this is occurring. East Saint Louis has influenced my politics. I can never look at it and live the lie of denying that we have some serious domestic issues. So, I will write about this too.

Did I say earlier that Mayor Daley's machine had nothing on ESL? Well, I'll write about politics too though as I mentioned earlier, I'm having a hard time finding information pertaining to a certain recent time period. But I think that I can find out, it may just take me awhile. So, see how much fun you have to look forward too? And you thought Christmas was over!

On a more personal note, IT SURE IS HARD TO BLOG WHEN YOU ARE WITH A FOUR YEAR OLD 24/7! I get so frustrated sometimes, I start jonesing for my blog and I just can't get to it. But don't think I'm complaining, I love being at home with her. (I just wish she would take long daily naps!)

Another thing: I'm so easy to entertain. All I need is a piece of yarn. Today I cleaned the house with a piece of yarn tied onto my shoe so that I could watch my cat act the fool while I went about doing my thing. It added quite an element of fun. I wish that on my next job, I can go to work with a piece of yarn tied on my shoe and bring my cat along, it would make it so much more bearable. Maybe I can say that I need this as a job accommodation.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

does your husband know you sometimes neglect your daughter?

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Why are you going to tell him?

Alan said...

The City of St. Louis has one of the highest per-capita crime rates in the USA and has ranked among the nation's top ten in crime for years. According to FBI statistics, the city ranked third in 2005 in the country's highest murder rates for cities above 250,000. According to Morgan Quinto's "14th Annual America's safest/most dangerous cities" report, St. Louis dropped from the number one "Most Dangerous" city in America in 2006 back to the number two most dangerous city in America in 2007. That’s as far as I gleaned tonight.
Interesting. What has you on this trip, if I may ask?
-----------------
winai, does your brain know your persona mistreats it.

X. Dell said...

I thought I was a cheap date. But yarn?

This sounds fascinating. I was in East St. Louis twice during the mid-1980s. You speak of Chicago, which I find interesting because it reminded me of Gary, it's relationship to St. Louis similar to that of Gary and the Windy City.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Sean, Saint Louis and East Saint Louis are separate cities. They aren't even in the same state. East Saint Louis has the second highest crime rate in the coutry for cities it's size as well. It has about 40,000 people.
Why have I become interested, I'm not really sure. I've always been sort of interested in it, then I started reading a book and it kind of grew from there. I hope I will be able to show that it is actually a very interesting place and then you will understand why I become iterested.

S- Actually, it's compared in my book to Gary, Indiana but apparently Gary is nicer. If you were there during the mid 90's then you were there during the time period that I am iterested in. Were you there for school? Lots of schools send their students there for field projects and I think that some people even write their thesis about it. Did you get to meet the mayor?

Alan said...

Back to geography class for me;-)

Behind Blue Eyes said...

That's okay Sean. I don't think a person from Europe could really be expected to know that.

Anonymous said...

please don't neglect your daughter anymore

X. Dell said...

Actually, I was there in the 1980s, for business reasons (lots of gigs in the St. Louis area).