Monday, May 5, 2008

Tarot: Mundane or Magical?


When I got my first Tarot deck twenty years ago, I dutifully read through the history of the deck in the front of the book but it didn't interest me and I soon tossed it aside, more intent into getting to the cards themselves. My mistake, the history is one of the most interesting things about it, truly as interesting as the cards themselves.

There are two different levels to it, one that can be backed up by fact and the other that, as far as can be proved always veers into mythology in the end. Though many people feel that the Tarot has 'magical' origins, they have always been frustrated in their attempts to find any proof of this. Yet they insist that it it does despite any solid proof and despite appearing ridiculous. Hopefully, this post will help show you why they feel the way they feel and why they may not be as silly as they sound.

As far as any records show, the first time that the Tarot deck was actually associated with the occult was in the 18th century. A man named Antoine Court de Gebelin, who would probably not be remembered today if it weren't for his connection with Tarot, was writing a series of nine books called Le Monde Primitif when he saw a Tarot deck at the home of a friend. Upon seeing it he became convinced that it contained hidden occult knowledge from ancient Egypt. And though he only devoted one page to the Tarot, his little mention of it is where modern thoughts on Tarot begin.

He called it the "Book of Thoth." (Thoth is the Egyptian God of Magic and information) and claimed that it contained the entirety of Ancient Egyptian Magic in symbolic form. It was during this same time period that the cards were linked to the Kabbalah, an ancient Jewish Mystical system, which some say goes back all the way to Moses in Egypt--which is where the link between Egypt and Kaballah come in--in case you were wondering.

The 22 major arcana cards (The Food, etc..) are thought to represent the 22 paths on the tree of life--also the 22 letters in the Hebrew alphabet. The 10 cards in each suit--Ace through 10--represent the ten Sephiroth or stages of emanation. The four suits, Swords, water, Earth and Air represent the 4 layers of existence. Though this could arguably be coincidental there are Kabbalistic symbols used throughout and not only that, but they seem to correspond in a logical order with the teachings of the Kabballah.

Besides the Kaballah, the Tarot has at one time or another, been linked with just about every form of mysticism, magic and system of esoteric knowledge that exists. As Rachel Pollack says in her book, Forest of Souls,

"The Tarot depicts the sacred myths of the Romany (or Gypsies), disguised in cards for the centuries of exile from the Rom homeland in India--or Egypt--or outer space. The Tarot is a Renaissance card game inspired by annual carnival processions called triumphs. The Tarot is a card game derived from annual processions called thriambs, in honor of the God Dionysus, the creator of wine. The Tarot conceals/reveals the secret number teachings of Pythagoras, a Greek mystic who lived at the time of Moses, and who influenced Plato. the Tarot depicts the secret oral teaching of Moses, who received them directly from God. The Tarot contains the lost knowledge of Atlantis, a drowned continent first described by Plato. the Tarot is a card game imported from Palestine and Egypt during the Crusades. the Tarot is a vast memory system for the Tree of Life, a diagram of the laws of creation. The Tarot hides in plain sight the wisdom of the Egyptian God Thoth, master of all knowledge. the Tarot shows Egyptian temple initiations. The Tarot shows Tantric temple initiations. The Tarot preserves the wisdom of Goddess-initiated witches during the long, dark centuries of patriarchal religion. The Tarot maps the patterns of the Moon in Chaldean astrology. the Tarot was created by papermaker guilds who were the last remnants of the Cathars, Christian heretics brutally suppressed by the Church of Rome.
All of the above, and more, Tarot writers have proclaimed as the one true, authentic origin of Tarot."

When you actually study the cards, it is hard to believe that they just happened on accident. The belief that these cards had some sort of mysterious, origin was solidified by the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, which was a magical order of the late 19th/early 20th century and was the biggest influence on modern western occultism today. Aleister Crowley was a member and so was the poet Yeats.

Whatever you may think of magic or the occult, the people who were members of The Golden Dawn were hardly ignorant people. The society was full of professional men and women some of whom were highly educated and could read ancient texts in their original languages. Though as I said, the first referenc to the Tarot being of esoteric origin was in the 1700's, they were able to look at older documents to verify the validity of this claim and...though I'll have to take their word for it as I can't read them myself....it all checked out.

Yet, anyone who has ever tried to trace the origin of the cards has found only mundane beginnings. They were used to play a card game, similar to bridge...that's it. At the time that they were made, a large part of the population was illiterate and pictorial representations were commonly used to communicate with them. Separately, the cards are no different than any other things being drawn back then, their symbolism was well-used and understood by the contemporaries.


The way it stands now, it is doubtful that we will ever know the answer to the answer to the origin of the cards. What if we found out that there was no mysterious origin, that they were simply playing cards that some deluded people thought that they saw signs in and caused other deluded people to follow them until now we have a mass delusion? Maybe it would be better to keep it like this and not ever know...the mystery adds to the cards--and at any rate--they are still very cool!

20 comments:

Momentary Madness said...

The throw of a coin is the basic idea of all divination. In different cultures throughout the world there are different techniques by which to read the situation; some may be better than others.
The Tarot is one way to try to divine the way forward.
We do it everyday on waking- we constantly wonder about which way to proceed, looking for the signs and how we feel about everything, even the weather. As the feelings intensify or cluster upon one thing a decision is formed. It’s a guessing technique, and the more familiar you become with the signs and the feelings around you, the more adept you become in deciding what relates to what.
Reading/predicting synchronistic events is something I know very little about, but I do know their reality from personal living experience, and so do you.
Imagine having bad luck, down to your tether, and out of the blue things are turned dramatically so much so you feel if it went any other way, you would never have got the job you always wanted, met the love of your life, and so on. However I’m not saying these events can be predicted with pin-point accuracy, for I do think life is a certainty. I think we can change out direction if we are skilled (or someone is skilled) enough to see what possible synchronistic events may lay ahead if we continue to proceed the way we have chosen at that time.
I’ll say no more for I think I’m beginning to repeat myself, and wonder if I have said anything at all worth repeating.
Great to see you back. I checked only a few days ago, and found you were still away.
I was delighted with the surprise.
Great stuff. I missed you.

Unknown said...

I am willing to bet there is no magical connection at all here. they were just cards and the lack of history surrounding them opened the door for stories and legends to form. It's more fun that way, wouldn't you agree?

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Alan-Most believers refer to Carl Jung's writings on synchronicity when trying to explain the phenomena of the Tarot. Judging by what you have said, I trust that you already know about that. Some actually also refer to quantum physics. Most books about 'magic' will make referenece to quantum physics at some point, often Tarot writers do too. Quantum physics as applies to Tarot has to do with time, and how time isn't linear the way that we think it is and how events from the future can affect the present and how an observer of an experiement can actually change quantum particles with their thoughts. Pretty wierd stuff. I know that wasn't much of an explanation but just to give you an idea of some of the thought. There are people who believe that when you do Tarot, you are communicating with Divinity directly. Others believe that using an oracle is like wearing glasses, that we all have the ability to by psychic but we need a 'crutch' or tool to get us there. Some people say that Tarot gets you in touch with your 'subconscious mind' and these people believe that it is through your unconscious that the divinity communicates with you. Even if you don't believe in any of this, these people have very interesting minds.

Ricardo-Reading back over this, I see that I sort of slanted the post towards the magical part, but I didn't mean to. It's just so wierd when yu start thinking about it all. The authour of the book that I quoted, is one of the most respected Tarotists today, she wrote one of the main tarot books back in the 70's that most Tarot interpretation is based upon in one way or another. She's absolutely brilliant. And she does not believe in the esoteric origin of the Tarot. Actually, she thinks what you think. And the thing is, anyone who uses Tarot for magic is going by a tradition that started with the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. They took the Tarot very seriously but they were making everything up as they went. Yes they were reading the old texts etc...but they were being completely creative in their interpretations and associations so it could very well be that they inadvertently just saw what they wanted to see and then what they saw somehow became reality for the rest of us. Pretty wierd!

Chris Benjamin said...

ah, the maddening search for proof of magic.

you might enjoy the writing of David Abram, particularly The Spell of the Sensuous.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Benji-I googled him and read a chapter of his book. I would be very interested in reading the entire thing and plan to. thanks

Reginald Parsons said...

"ON DIVINATION AND SYNCHRONICITY
The Psychology of Meaningful Chance
By Marie-Louise Von Franz.
Not mundane or magical, or if you're living a long long time ago perhaps you saw it as such.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

Reginald-I'm glad that I posted this. I've heard of her of course, but wasn't familiar with what exactly she wrote. She was just what I was looking for. thanks.

BBC said...

I don't do Tarot, or any of the other stuff the monkeys dream up.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY, LADIES.

Momentary Madness said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Momentary Madness said...

….. So eh, tell me bbc - if you don’t mind - what species are you.
---------------
There are some people in the world who have a cold/flu, and then there are those like me who know the cold/flu has in reality them, and those who don’t know the difference.
----------------------
Some feel far superior to the animal/monkey kingdom, but I do not consider a few (monkey) tricks nuclear/rockets- jumping up (to space) and down beating our chests as exemplary behavior to achieve superiority.

X. Dell said...

Interesting. I don't do the Tarot, but I'm always fascinated by aspects of pop culture that I've never considered, like the history of the deck.

If you look at a deck of ordinary playing cards, you'll also see cycles of nature. Four suits, four seasons. Thirteen cards per suit, thirteen lunar months, and so on.

Reginald Parsons said...

Right on x. dell.
Under the sun there is nothing new, and if you look close you will see a pattern that runs through every single thing that connects even in that which we think is outside us.

Chris Benjamin said...

so cool that they have an entire chapter online!

Anonymous said...

hey wassuppp..... long time...!!!

ab

rockmother said...

Hello BBE - I read Tarot cards for friends now and again. I used to refer to the book but as time has gone on I just do it my way.

I concentrate on the cards and get intuitive feelings that I then impart to the sitter. Sometimes it is quite involuntary and sometimes it is so strong I feel a bit shaky. I don't charge and I don't/can't do it to order - it has to feel right.

Ab said...

hey, coelho's new book talks about tarrot reading... 'Brida'.... well, im just quarter way thru it... but i love the book!

American Hill BIlly said...

Wow, your last post was long, and interesting, but this one blew my doors. Yes I do Tarot Cards to a degree. I'm learning, and feel like I'm playing the part of the fool. It is the time of the Fool coming again, and soon. That is again why people do get moody, or bi polar; it is the hidden knowledge wanting recognition. Religions were made, and built for the serfs, and slaves. The true power broker's have believed in Tarot, and still do; along with other things. It does go back well before Egypt, but then again, I do guess it is a mystery!

Peace and Freedom

behindblueeyes said...

Rockmother-I've been doing the Tarot for a really long time, but for some reason still have to read the book. I think it's just laziness though....I just need to practice without the book. I have so much trouble with the court cards too. After all these years, I've never gotten them.

I've done readings for people and it's just been bizarre!! I have actually had my readings come true! If it happens once, you can put it down to coincidence. If it keeps happening....well, I have no explanation.
Once, (this is funny) a guy was messing with me and he asked me if he was going to die soon. So, I went along with him and pulled out a card and it was Death, reversed. So, I told him no..you should have seen his face!!

Hey! I'm sorry I never responded to this at this point, I don't even know if you will see this. Anytime someone comments, it should go to my e-mail. I don't know why this didn't.

behindblueeyes said...

Hey Ab. Sorry I haven't been by for awhile. I googled your book. It sounds great!

behindblueeyes said...

HB-It takes awhile to learn the Tarot. My favorite book is "Tarot for a new generation" by Janina Renee.