Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Family Tradition



My mother is a history major. She taught highschool history way back in the 70's. She didn't like teaching and didn't do it anymore after that. When I grew up I was always being given little impromptu history lessons which usually started with, "See Diana, years ago......."

One of the things that we often had around the house were books written about the daily habits of people who lived 'years ago'. I learned many interesting things from these books. For instance, did you know that in the dark ages no-one used silverware? There was no such thing as a fork. Everyone carried a knife and this is what they ate with. If you went to someones house you used your own knife.

In Holland, children did not sit at the table. They stood behind their parents chairs and were fed like little puppies. The lower-classes in London subsisted on a barley-based gruel. That was it! Hence, the life expectancy of 30. I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the idea.

So I picked up a book called "Inside the Victorian Home," the other day and it has been as enjoyable as I thought it would be. Here is an excerpt which will hopefully illustrate why I like and get a kick out of these books.

"For us, mice and rats are the first thought at the word "vermin"; for the Victorians it was bugs: blackbeetles, fleas, even crickets. If the struggle against them was not waged with commitment and constancy, they would "multiply till the kitchen flooor at night palpitates with a living carpet, and in time the family cockroach will make raids on the upper rooms, travelling along the line of hot water pipes...the beetles would collect in corners of the kitchen ceiling, and hanging to one another by their claws would form huge bunches or swarms like bees, towards evening and as night closed in, swarthy individuals would drop singly on to floor, or head, or food...........Mrs. Haweis did not object to rats and mice, which she thought were "nice, pretty, clever little things."

Okay, one more and I promise I'll stop!

"As soon as the water was hot, the sheets and other linens were taken out of their overnight soaking water, rinsed in hot water ladled out of the copper, and rubbed or beaten with a dolly or a possing stick." "The sheets were then wrung out, and the water was thrown away. A bar of soap--there were as yet no detergents--was shaved, cut into pieces, and dissolved in boiling water to form a jelly. The jelly was rubbed through the sheets. Then the water was added to transform the whole to a soapy mass, and the sheets were agitated again. More water--as hot as could be borne by the laundress--was added, the sheets were rubbed a third time. The water was thrown out, more was taken from the copper, and the items were put in their first rinse, then wrung out. They were then put in the copper itself, together with one teaspoon of soda to every two gallons of water and boiled for and hour and a half, to remove the soap thoroughtly. After the boiling the sheets were taken out, rinsed a third time in another tub of boiling water, and then a fourth in a final tub of cold water, which had had 'blue' put in it." "After the blue rinse, everything was wring out for a third and final time, and hung up to dry. Thus, the first--and simplest--load of laundry took one soaking, two washes, one boiling and four rinses:"

7 comments:

X. Dell said...

Here's a book you might enjoy: One Night Stands in American History by Richard Shenkman and Kurt Reiger. It's a very well documented book that debunks a lot of historical stereotypes, and tells you why:

1. The evidence is clear that Puritans prefered brightly colored clothes, and were fairly open about sex.

2. Brides in early-America were sometimes married in the nude, but not the grooms.

3. Washington city police arrested U.S. Grant during his presidency.

4. Robber barron H.L. Hunt acquired his first oil well.

It's a fun read. It might give you some writing ideas too.

Momentary Madness said...

Your Mother passed on to you a very valuable tool for life- wonderful gift. Your Mother was it seems a very special Mother, and I think it shows.
Y;-) Paddy

eric1313 said...

I love reading about how things used to be. That was very interesting, about the insects and how they were the real problem to the victorian era people.

And your mother sounds like she did a great job raising you to appreciate history and struggle. And to appreciate learning, which is perhaps your best skill, or the one that will be most valuable for adapting to the future. I love my mom, too. Don't tell her!

See you around, BBE. Take care.

Cliff said...

I found your post through Enemy's site. Loved the read. Quirky, but cool.

So, not all Midwesterners are pro-Limbaugh. I don't know though if I count, I was born in Oregon and also lived in Florida.

Thanks for the post. Hope to read more of your stuff soon.

Cliff

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I imagine the rats and mice probably ate the insects too. Spiders and rodents, mankind's former allies turned against us!

Mel said...

And I have people freaking out over a measley little house spider?

Can I just be grateful for washmachines and the conveniences of today?
Cuz I well and truly AM.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

X-Your right. I might enjoy that. The part about marrying in the nude especially peaks my curiosity. And your absolutely right about information like this giving one writing ideas. The more facts of trivia that you have the more interesting your stories or even conversations can possibly be.

Paddy-My family on my mom's side is very cool, mom included. I certainly never have to be secretly afraid that my family may be boring!

Eric-I'm not even sure if my mom belongs in this century in a way. Except I'm glad that she's here because from what I'm reading in this book, the past certainly doesn't sound like it's all it's cracked up to be. Nice in a novel but apparently not so cool in actuality. Especially if you were not male or not white!

Cliff-Being born in Oregon is certainly a buffer to help save you from midwestern banality. Thanks for stopping by. I had a short look at your blog. I will go back later tonight or tomorrow and take a better look when I have a little more time. The story looked great according to my quick perusal!

Trevor-Perhaps it is us who turned against them. We used them until they were no longer useful then demonized them. That's probably why they hate us so much!

Mel-Thanks for stopping by and sorry I have neglected your blog lately. After reading half the book I no longer harbor any illusions about the old days or that Victorian England was charming; or how we need to return to those days because society has become too.....'whatever' name your poison. It sounds like it was absolutely dreadful to live back then unless you were a white male from the upper-middle class and beyond.