Tuesday, December 16, 2008

M


I love to watch old, old movies. Granted they aren't all good and I have to sift through a lot of them to find one that doesn't jar me too much with it's sappiness. Yes some of them are so sappy that I blush when I watch them. But once in awhile, I find a gem. But I'm interested in the past and I love watching to old silent films because I can learn about the past in a non-linear way by watching these films.

I've often heard people say that people were more innocent years ago. I'm not so sure about this as the following might reveal. Quickly, M is a 1931 movie directed by Fritz Lanz. It is about a serial killer who molests children and then kills them. The police are searching for the culprit and suspect that it is a member of a guild of thieves. The thieves, who are being harassed because of this, decide to catch the killer on their own. They do, and they put him on trial themselves. The following monologue is what Hans Beckett or the serial killer says when he finally breaks.


'It's there all the time, driving me out to wander the streets, following me, silently, but I can feel it there! It's myself, pursuing myself! I want to escape, escape from myself! But it's impossible. I can't escape, I have to obey it. I have to run, run, endless streets. I want to escape, to get away! And I'm pursued by ghosts! Ghosts of mothers and of those children......they never leave me. They are always there....always, always, always, except when I do it, when I.....then I can't remember anything! And afterwards I read those posters, and see what I've done.....and I read and read....did I do that? But I can't remember anything about it, but who would believe me? Who knows what it's like to be me? How I'm forced to act...how I must, must....don't want to, must. Don't want to, but must! And then a voice screams! I can't bear it! I can't go on, I can't, I can't!'--The words of Hans Beckett, serial killer, child molester, on trial, from the movie M.



Film makers today sometimes try to capture the visual look of films that were made during this time. But they never do. I'm not sure why. Is it because they can't? Or is it because they don't want to offend the modern eye too much. It's a shame because the older films can be visually fascinating.

Their equipment, which was primitive by our standards, forced them to use contrast in order to create an affect. When well-done, this can create fascinating visual affects. Often back then, actors weren't chosen for their beauty but for their photographic interest.hey used actors that we would not allow to grace our screens today. It seems they deliberately chose very homely people to play villains. I guess they still hadn't gotten over the influence of physiognamy.

It's a strange thing that very ugly face holds the compels the same visual interest as a very beautiful face. The people used in the trial scene were actual convicts and they are a very sinister looking group of volks. Long craggy, twisted faces that catch the light eerily. It's amazing how human beings can create art out of whatever they have at hand. As a matter-of-fact, I would venture to say that this type of film is more artistic than what they can do today.

Another notable thing about this film is that it was used as Nazi propaganda. Peter Lorre who played the serial killer was Jewish. They used his speech as evidence of the Jews tendency to depravity. He had to flee Germany.

Freud, another Jew, was also brought into this. As you might realize, a speech like that was made possible by Sigmund Freud and colleagues. Before the introduction of psychotherapy, people didn't say things like this, they didn't think this way. This was looked upon as a very bad influence on culture. Still is. Blamed on the Jews as well.

Early film is much more interesting than one might think.

This post is a first-draft. Please excuse typos, spelling errors etc....lazy today. Details suck!!

10 comments:

Crushed said...

It does sound like quite a dark piece...

I think it's hard to remake any art form from another time period, because it's hard for someone not actually of an age to feel it's sprit in their bones.

The world of 1931 had different dark edges, yet different joys, to our own.
Material comforts were less, but the holocaust hadn't happened.

Momentary Madness said...

I was always fascinated by Peter Lorre (Mr. Moto) in crime films and mysteries. When he acted with Humphrey Bogart I was transported to a different world.
This was the world where criminals were not all bad; they were modern day ”Robin Hoods.”
I feel we’re going back that way due to the excessive increase of leeches like the Sheriff of Nottingham.” Anyway!

Films have not progressed really. They got lost somewhere in time, becoming staid, and the proof of that is where we are today.
Art is the expression of the collective unconscious. Though it may seem to be expressed by one or many individuals, it is really a collective force bring about change.
I don’t see this happening at the moment, but we are in the process of a massive upheaval which usually precedes change, however we have yet to go through (unfortunately) the slaughter of the innocent. You would imagine enough have suffered (many more will have to suffer many more will have to die don’t ask me why, there’s a natural mystic blowin’ through the air, if you listen carefully you will hear.”) but the rich haven’t given up yet.
Sigmund Freud, and Jung, talked about the roaming gangs of youths. Hitler’s youth was only the start, a prelude to what’s to come.

X. Dell said...

I've never heard about the anti-Semitic propaganda of M, but I'm not a bit surprised. Disney, and other US studios often used horribly bigoted Jewish stereotypes in his crtoon imagery, perhaps reminding the American public that, unlike the MGMs and the Warner Brothres of Hollywood, they were as wholesome and 'Christian valued' as the mainstream of the US.

BTW, Peter Lorre was a student of Freud's, if memory serves.

behindblueeyes said...

crushed-I think that the turn of the century is a fascinating time. I love the literature and the art and film was a new medium and I love seeing how it all began.

MM-It is hard to find a great film isn't it? That special film tht just has that special something-whatever it is. It can come from any time and any place. M-was like that for me.

I try not to think too much about how the world is going because when I do I have so much anxiety. I don't mean that I put my head in the sand but only that I do what I can and then try to think of something else.

X-I looked it up. Yes, Peter Lorre was a student of Freud's.

If anyone wanted to see the history of racism in the US, all they would have to do is watch movies and even cartoons. That says it all.

eric1313 said...

True about the cartoons... Look at old Looney Toons and you'll see a perfect offering of the American mindset of their time. They don;t even show old looney toons on TV anymore.

I like older films, but tend to watch films made in the 60's and 70's more than any other era. "The Last Picture Show" is an excellent example that comes to mind. Filmed in 1970 or so, but it was done in black and white to capture the older style. I highly recommend it!

Momentary Madness said...

Happy Christmas.

Ab said...

oh... i jus watched casablanca... and it felt so real.... i mean, th whole effect.. anyways!

and yeah... happy new year.. been such a long time!

BBC said...

I haven't seen it, may never see it.

I hope that all is well with you.

Chris Benjamin said...

happy new year!

sounds like a fascinating film, maybe i'll check it out.

i'm guessing if someone really wanted to recreate that old film look exactly they could - with old equipment and technique. probably the average viewer is satisfied with black and white to get that oldschool feel, and that's easier than going whole hog. but i'm no expert on that.

Janina Renée said...

Hi Diana/Behind Blue Eyes! This is Janina Renée. I tried to contact you through your e-mail link back in December, but my letter automatically got kicked back, so I thought I'd see what happens if I try responding directly to your blog. Thanks for contacting me, by the way! In my letter which got kicked back, I talked about overlap between Aspergers and Bipolar, and things like that.

By the way, one thing I like I about old movies is the sparkling wit applied to the art of conversation, (though I don't recall if that was the case in "M," because it's been so long since I've seen it).

An ironic thing is many years ago there were these two serial killers in Los Angeles--I forget the names--but they were posing as cops as a way of getting young women out of their cars and killing them. One of the women they stopped was Anne Lorre, but when the phony cops looked at her license, commented on the name, and she mentioned that she was the daughter of Peter Lorre, they let her go, because they were fans of her dad.

Well, I hope that 2009 will be bring you many rewards, Janina